Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Moar Props!

I got a lot of positive feedback on my post last week, thanks everyone. I enjoy it when people read and have thoughts on the blog. I've been working on a lot of half-baked things since, but here are a handful of more or less finished things.

First, a new gun:


A lot of people are asking me how I do these - there is no 3D, it's a composite technique coupled with painting in Photoshop. I've been messing around with Camtasia Studio and I'm looking into making some process videos. Probably coupled with campy techno music. And flash animations of unicorns. People like that sort of thing, right?

I wanted to work on some boxes today and broke into google sketchup this morning. It's been a while since I used it and honestly I don't remember it being this much fun. I'm something of a veteran of the Maya Wars and I find it incredible that google distilled 3D software into something so simple and intuitive. For simple geometric iteration it's perfect.

Google Sketchup mockup of the box
Paintover of sketchup model
I usually like to do multiple skins and this was just the first one, I was interrupted by some errands I had to do this afternoon, but this was fun times. It's a pet peeve of mine when boxes in games are boring, I really have fun with them and I love seeing nice little props and well filled out rooms in a  game. I think Deus Ex: Human Revolution had great boxes and props, every time I look through the art book for it I dwell on the page of boxes and drool a little.


^ This is a little for fun doodle of the characters I've been posting previously.  It was super quick, drawn in between some large-scale environments this weekend as a break.

And it wouldn't be complete without a couple new 1 hour paints:

Skyrim screenshot from Dead End Thrills
The Patriot

No comments:

Post a Comment